Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Further clarification on the masters program


Since getting admitted to the finance masters program, I have been doing tons of research and talking to alums about the program.  It's pretty interesting how much more access I have as an admit as opposed to a prospective. 

A few days ago, I was given login info to access the portal for admitted applicants, where I was able to see the profiles of the other admits as well as a list of firms that recruit on-campus.  I also exchanged a few e-mails with the career services director who is in charge of recruiting for asset management, the field I hope to transition into.  Based on what I gathered thus far, I am very unsatisfied with what this program offers.  So should I still pay my deposit and defer?  I suppose it's a viable backup option if nothing else pans out next year, but I hate wasting money on a program that I'm not mildly excited about.  

If I could get the job I want without having to go back to school, that would be awesome.  After all, the opportunity cost is massive, but despite my best efforts, I have been unable to do so.  I do not have a degree in econ, finance, or a technical subject, and my work experience is in a very limited niche area of finance with little crossover appeal to other areas.  Consequently, an MBA is necessary for the type of transition I am hoping to make. 

I will continue talking to friends and people at the program to get more information.  The deposit is due in early June, so there is still time.  The admissions committee is currently discussing whether they will grant me a deferral in the first place, but I would be shocked if they said no.

No comments:

Post a Comment