Thursday, June 13, 2013

Just made a big decision


Earlier today I made a critical professional decision, one that I did not think I would make just a short time ago.

A few weeks back I received an e-mail from a recruiter at a top trading firm, asking me if I were interested in a role managing the overnight desk.  Initially I was hesitant, but the job sounded intriguing, and multiple interviews later, I received an offer.  The compensation is better than my last job; equally important, I really like the firm, the people, and the culture.  People are often surprised when I say this, but even among the various trading firms, there are huge cultural differences. 

As for the startup, I was totally honest with the owner.  He still wants to work with me on a limited basis, and I'm in the process of seeing whether that will be ok with my full-time employer (from a legal perspective).  What this means though is that I will NOT be applying to business schools this upcoming year.  Yes, I had every intention of re-applying, but with this new job it simply would not make sense to do so. 

My desire to attend a top school has not changed one bit.  However, after much introspection, I believe that the next year is better spent focusing on doing well in my job, continuing with my non-professional involvements, and enjoying my life without having to go through the grueling cruel ordeal known as elite MBA admissions.  One year from now, I will re-assess where I'm at professionally and personally, and if I feel strongly, I will re-apply then.  I am still deeply concerned about my admission chances as a trader, but for now, I will put that concern in the back burner.  

As for this blog, I will continue writing, although it will not be updated as quite as often.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new job. I'm glad you found something you'll enjoy and that will compensate you well.

    ReplyDelete